Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chic Pearls and Ribbons

In this project, I transformed a vintage pearl and  sliver chain necklace into a lovely, updated piece.  I found this necklace at a thrift store and thought it would be perfect for my next refashioning project.


 

This pearl and silver chain necklace was a long, single-stranded piece and had a clasp closure.

 

Here's a close-up of the detail of the necklace.

 

Pick out the ribbon you wish to use.  I had some sheer, lavender ribbon on hand that I thought would give this necklace a romantic flair.

 

Two silver jump-rings will also be needed.

 

In order to give the piece some texture, twist or braid the pearl chain.  (I decided to fold the chain in order to make two single strands and one double strand so that I could braid them.)

 

I wrapped the two single strands over and under the double strand and when I got to the end, I closed the clasp again.

 

Now, the pearl chain is braided and creates a chunky, textured look.  There now should be a loop on either side of the braid as well.

 

 Next, open the jump-rings using pliers.

 

Put the jump-ring through each of the loops at the ends of the braid.

 

At this point, you have two options for securing the ribbon to the jump-rings.  Either find a matching thread and sew, using a similar technique as previous projects, or heat up that glue gun.  (I chose the glue gun for the mere simplicity of it.)

 

Fold the ribbon to fit it through the jump-ring and to make it sturdier. 

 

The view from the back.  (Since the ribbon is so sheer, it's a good idea to use the glue that dries clear, that way you don't have to worry about it showing through the material.)


 

Here's the view from the front.

 

Repeat that step so that both sides are secure.


 

You may choose to embellish it with a small flower.  (Here are two different flowers I have.)  Or keep it simple and leave it as is.

 

How romantically chic is that?!  Now, show it off!

~Beaucoup de Bisous~

2 comments:

  1. I'm really loving this idea, and the piece you made is just lovely! How GREEN to use an existing piece of jewelry, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I hadn't thought of it as being green before, but I really like that you pointed that out! In fact, I went ahead and labeled other projects on here that I thought were "green" :) Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Ooh La Leave a comment, if you please!