Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Vintage Necklace Becomes a Bracelet

Create a delicate bracelet out of a vintage (or new, if you choose) necklace.  It only took me 10 minutes!



A recent occurrence made me remember why I love reworking vintage pieces.  The past few years, fall has brought about many changes in my family.  One of my great aunts who has passed on has a birthday on the 31st of October.  My beloved great uncle left us last year, and the year before that we lost one of my other great uncles.  My mother, who shares her birthday with another great aunt (the one I get all the vintage goodies from), is facing the reality that this may be the last year they get to share it together.  And currently, we are hoping and praying that my grandmother will recover from suffering cardiac arrest.  Needless to say, this time of year is not proving to be emotionally easy.


While I was creating this project, I was reminded why working with vintage pieces is one of my favorite things to do. Since I inherit many of my vintage things from my elderly family members, they hold sentimental significance to me.  And even though when I refashion them I sometimes alter their original form, the piece still keeps that heirloom quality and it's something I will always cherish.  Giving new life and purpose to those trinkets allows me to keep my aunt's legacy with me.  At that point, it's more than just a material object.  I find even when I purchase jewelry from a thrift store, I invent stories about the pieces and what the former owners were like and where they wore them.


The breakdown of this project is very easy to follow.  Choose the necklace you wish to make into a bracelet and have those pliers on hand.  I thought the beads of this one would be pretty as bracelet.

  
Clip off the part you want to use.


Remove the clasp.


Reattach the clasp to the new bracelet part.


Save the remaining bits for a rainy day, and enjoy your new piece of jewelry.  Now you've got another bracelet to add to your arm party!   

~Beaucoup de Bisous~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh La Leave a comment, if you please!