Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Beauty Tuesdays: Makeup Brush Care + Powder Compact Tip

Cleaning and caring for your makeup brushes is very important, especially if you don't have the budget to buy new ones all the time.  I look at a brush set as an investment.  You get what you pay for.  So I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a decent set that will last me for a while (and thank goodness for Target sets in a pinch).  Here is how I clean mine.  (Then, find out how to save your broken powder compacts!) 


~Brush Care~


It can't be more simple: shampoo and warm water.   Using whatever shampoo you have on hand, squeeze a dab onto the wet brush bristles, work the soap into a gentle lather (making sure not to rough up the bristles too much), and rinse.  Repeat until the bristles rinse clean.  It could take a few rounds (depending on how much you use the brush) before it will rinse clean.  (If you've never done this before, I must warn you, what comes out of the brushes can be really neato-gross.  I'm always amazed/grossed out.)


Have a towel ready to lay them on to dry.  Allow them a day to dry (overnight if you lay them near an air register/heater).  I like to do this on a weekend day when I'm just chilling at home about once a month.  

~ Powder Compact Tip~


When I found out about this trick, I knew I had to share it!  If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you may have already seen this, but I just tried it out on a few of my broken powder compacts, and it works!  (Wish I had known about this before throwing away countless other compacts!)  

Just as the post says, all you have to do is add a bit of rubbing alcohol to the broken compact, mash it together to reshape the makeup, and let dry.  It's that easy!  May not look to pretty, but at least you still will! 


Can you tell which color I use the most?  It's Mary Kay Mineral Eye Color in Moonstone. 


Now, even when it gets down to the nitty gritty bits, I can save it (and hold onto some money a little while longer).  This is Sephora Bronzer Powder in Bahamas.

Do any of you clean your brushes or just spring for a new set?  Will you give this compact trick a go?

~Beaucoup de Bisous~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh La Leave a comment, if you please!