Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Delicate Fabric Flowers

Loved a DIY I found so much I wanted to try it out for myself!  Fellow blogger Annemarie at Brunch at Saks shared this project link to handmake fabric flowers, and when I saw it, I fell in love!  Such a pretty project!




I followed the directions given, but here is a rundown of what I did.


I free-handed a flower pattern and cut it out.



I had these two bunches of different, light material.  Both are white but one is more sheer than the other.



I cut a strip of both materials and folded it multiple times so I could cut a bunch out simultaneously.  The trick though is to not have too thick of a stack because otherwise 1.) it's difficult to get a pair of scissors through it and 2.) the flowers will not be as uniform.



After cutting the flowers, I layered them, varying the materials and shapes. 




Using needle and thread, I sewed small Xs into the middle to hold it together.  (With such sheer fabric, an X works better than just tacking the pieces together.)



The next part I found to be a bit tricky: you have to pinch the middle from the bottom of the flower and sew to give it some shape.  Easier said than done.  Since the fabrics are so slick, I found the pieces wanted to slip and slide.  (This part requires patience!)  



The tutorial suggested adding beads to the middle, so I did.  I had some little shiny and metallic seed beads that I though would look idyllic.  I simply threaded a few onto my thread and needle and shaped them into a circle.  Then I went back over a few places to tack them in place.  




Now I have a little fabric flower that I can use to embellish something like a tee, headband, or make into a pin.  The tutorial suggested sewing it onto a ribbon to make a corsage (but, of course, it's a wedding website so that makes sense).


~Beaucoup de Bisous~

3 comments:

Ooh La Leave a comment, if you please!