Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fun Necklace Tee DIY

Necklace tees are one of my favorite things (as you might recall here and here) because you can throw them on and not have to worry about too many accessories, perfect for looking chic while running errands and what not.  So I thought why not make my own?



For this project, I'm using a few things to refashion: a basic tee, a silk blouse, and a vintage necklace.  I had some leftover chain and rhinestones from this project to use as well.


A friend picked up this silk blouse for me at a garage sale, and it has a matching skirt.  Alas, the skirt fits but the top is way too tight.  So, my plan was to salvage it for parts, since it's gorgeous material.  

I cut the back of the neck out and the ties to use for the necklace tee, ensuring to cut on the outside of the orignal seam so I wouldn't have to deal with raw edges.   (I'll save the rest for a rainy day.)


I pinned one side of the piece of silk to the front of the tee and sewed it in place.


If you've not yet noticed, my sewing machine is a Hello Kitty Janome model.  (I've adored Hello Kitty, maybe a little too much, since I was a little girl.) 


Anyway, next I pinned the other side of the material and sewed it.


Then it was time to lay out the embellishments to figure out the placement.


I pinned the necklace down and used a needle and thread to attach it to the tee.


I repeated that step until I had attached all the trimmings.


To attach the ties, I folded down one end to make a triangular shape.


Next, I ironed it to make it easier to stay in shape.


Using needle and thread, I stitched along the fold.  Then I stitched the ties to the tee.


And that's a wrap.  Enjoy!


Beautiful detail shot - I love the color combo.


~Beaucoup de Bisous~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh La Leave a comment, if you please!