Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Useful DIY Tips for Everday Life: Shoe Polish

When the Spring season is just around the corner, I often think about how to be prepared for things: warmer weather wardrobe, Spring cleaning, severe weather season, bikini season, etc.  So I thought it would be fitting to have a series for the next few weeks for my Wednesday posts, hence the title, "Useful DIY Tips for Everyday Life."  
For the first week, I give some pointers on shoe polish.  I'll admit it seems pretty boring, but you have got to see the before and after pics of my favorite pair of flat boots!  I think it's something that many people (including myself) overlook, but can truly make a difference in leather/leather-like shoes.


If you've never polished shoes before, you'll need the basics: shoe polish creme (either the same color as the shoes or a clear polish), a polishing rag and/or old sock, and a bristle brush.

The rundown:  
~Use the rag or old sock to apply the shoe polish to the shoe and rub in a circular motion.
~Sweep the bristle brush across the shoe to buff and shine.
~Repeat first 2 steps if desired look has not yet been achieved.
~Allow the shoe to dry.

Helpful Hints:  
~Keep in mind that the fumes from the polish can have the same effect as those from nail polish, so do this in a well-ventilated room and/or under a ceiling fan.
~Wear an apron or old clothes that you wouldn't mind if they got dirty.
~Surprisingly provides a great upper body workout!
   
The results: 
The pair of boots I polished aren't real leather, yet the polish still worked wonders!  I have had these boots for two years now and wear them quite frequently.  So when they started showing some wear (notice the scuffing at the toes in these pics), I was beginning to come to the realization that come next Fall, I needed to buy new riding boots.  However, I think I've mustered a little more wear out of them after the polishing.


In this shot, I had already polished the foot part of the boot, but not the leg area.  


In these pics, a subtle difference can be seen between the polised and unpolished areas.


In these pics, the boot on the left has been completely polished, and the boot on the right has not.  Notice the difference in the shine and suppleness of the material.

  
And finally, in these last two pics, both boots have been completely polished.  I was amazed at the results!  They could almost pass as brand new if not for a few minor scuffs and wear around the ankle area.

Do any of you still polish your shoes? 

~Beaucoup de Bisous~ 

3 comments:

  1. so helpful. fabulous post. thanks for sharing, love. if you get a sec, I'd love to hear what you think of my latest. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea!I'll try to do this!if you go look at my blog there is also a Jeffrey Campbell Giveaway : http://therightmixoffashion.blogspot.com/2012/02/giveawayjeffrey-campbell.html

    ReplyDelete

Ooh La Leave a comment, if you please!